Are you wondering how you can make store bought cake mix taste like homemade? Well, here are my tips for what works. I prefer to use cake mixes when baking cakes and cupcakes because they are an easy and inexpensive way to achieve homemade taste. To make cake mix taste like homemade, I use the following:
- Softened butter instead of vegetable oil
- Buttermilk instead of water
- A teaspoon of flavoring (ex. vanilla or almond flavoring if baking a yellow cake, lemon flavoring for a lemon cake, etc.)
The tips above are tried and true ways to doctor up a cake mix. I always frost my cakes with homemade frosting which definitely adds another layer of richness and great flavor to the cake. You can make frosting taste more like homemade by stirring in a teaspoon of vanilla or other flavorings. Sandra Lee gave this tip on an episode of the Food Network show Semi-homemade.
I’ve also come across other ways to dress up cake mix such as:
- Adding pudding mix before adding any liquid ingredients.
- Adding instant coffee mix to chocolate cake mix to enhance the chocolate flavor.
Do you have any tips for making cake mix taste homemade? If so, share them with others in the comments!