I first sampled Otis Spunkmeyer Chocolate Chip Cookies in college and was instantly hooked. So when I came across this recipe on the internet I had to give it a try. Although it doesn’t taste like the Otis Spunkmeyer Chocolate Chip Cookies I remember, it’s still really good and currently my chocolate chip cookie recipe of choice.
Before I found this recipe, the Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe was a fixture in my kitchen so we’ll see how long Otis hangs around.
As you can see below, the Otis Spunkmeyer Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe calls for vegetable shortening which I rarely use to bake anything so I substituted it for another stick of butter. Make sure you follow Step 2 closely and mix your butter or butter/shortening mixture to a paste. Don’t melt the butter too much or your cookies may come out thin and crispy (and possibly burnt on the bottom) instead of soft and chewy. I also chose to leave out the nuts. Here’s the recipe…enjoy!
1/2 cup butter softened (1 stick)
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco Butter Flavor)
1 cup brown sugar, light, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 tsp Vanilla extract
2 3/4 cup All-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chips (one 10-12 oz package)
1 cup chopped walnuts (4 oz package – optional)
1. Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl and mix with a whisk. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a microwave oven (use a microwave safe mixing bowl or a glass measuring cup) stopping and stirring every 15 seconds. Stop when the butter is more of a paste (usually about 45-60 seconds). Pour over granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat well.
3. Add each egg separately beating until creamy. Add flour mixture (1/2 cup at a time) while beating.
4. Stir chocolate chips into mixture. Refrigerate for 1-3 hours in covered bowl.
5. Pre-heat oven to 375°F 15 minutes prior to baking the first batch.
6. Drop onto a waxed paper lined, room-temperature, air-bake cookie sheet in large rounded tablespoonful size (or small ice-cream scooper).
7. Bake 10-12 minutes checking every two minutes after 8 minutes for golden brown appearance.